Ernesto Díaz-Bastien, Managing Partner
Contact information: email@example.com
Tel. 915 236 765 | Fax. 915 236 471
Languages: Spanish, English, French.
Education: Law degree from the Autonomous University of Madrid in 1979, and a number of post-graduate courses.
Over his long career, he has worked in different branches of national and international law. His specialization over the last few years in financial and corporate criminal law is noteworthy. He has participated in numerous lawsuits of diverse natures in every Spanish jurisdiction. For instance, he defended the European Commission’s interests in criminal lawsuits before Spanish courts as well as those of foreign states and governments in various types of procedures. He has defended and legally represented the interests of organizations and companies as well as of individuals within various business and financial sectors.
He has worked often in the international legal sphere, coordinating and leading the defense of his clients’ interests before international courts and in numerous jurisdictions during transnational lawsuits. He has further served as specialist or expert in Spanish law before foreign criminal, commercial and civil courts. He has also produced opinions presented before international courts such as Great Britain’s House of Lords or the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
He has served as either arbitrator or attorney in arbitration procedures, both within Spain as well as abroad. He is a founding member of the Spanish Arbitration Club. He currently serves as Arbitrator for the Madrid Bar Association’s arbitration court, for the Paris-based Euro-Arab arbitration system, and for the Association for the Study of Authors’ Rights
He is widely experienced in designing legal strategies for his clients, and in out-of-court consulting and advising. He has worked on the drafting, negotiation and preparation of any number of legal documents, contracts and transactions of varied legal character, both within Spain and internationally. He has served as legal advisor to companies in order to prevent their risk of criminal prosecution. He has consulted, both long- and short-term, for administrative bodies and upper management in numerous companies, including legal advice and execution strategies. He has also advised foreign companies regarding establishing themselves in Spain, and vice versa – advising Spanish companies as to expanding beyond the country’s borders.
- President of the International Bar Association’s Property Law Committee, 1996-1998.
- Vice President of the International Bar Association’s Property Law Committee, 1999-2005.
- Member of the European Criminal Bar Association (ECBA).
- Member of the International Criminal Law Association’s Executive Committee (ICLA).
- Participant in the PenalNet project sponsored by the European Union.
- Founding member of the Spanish Arbitration Club.
- Arbitrator for the Madrid Bar Association’s arbitration court.
- Arbitrator for the Paris-based Euro-Arab arbitration system.
- Main Arbitrator for Association for the Study of Authors’ Rights.
- Bar Association of Madrid, since 1978.
Publications (among others):
- Co-author of the book “Comentarios a la Ley de Mediación” (Commentary on the Law of Mediation), Reus, 2012.
- Co-author of the “Diccionario Terminológico de Arbitraje Nacional o Internacional” (Dictionary of National and International Arbitration Terminology), Palestra, Lima, 2011.
- Media presentations for the Advanced Course on Financial Law at King Juan Carlos/KPMG University.
- Coordinator and co-author of the book “Comentarios a la Ley de Arbitraje” (Commentary on the Law of Arbitration), Reus, 2007.
- Co-author of the book “Derecho Nobiliario” (Nobility Law), Reus, 2005.
- Co-author of the book “En torno a la sucesión en los títulos nobiliarios” (With Regard to the Inheritance of Noble Titles), Reus, 2012.
- Author of the chapter “Insolvency qualification” in the book “La administracion concursal de las empresas” (Insolvency Administration in Companies), Barcelona 2004.
Lectures, Teaching (among others):
- He is lecturer speaker in various Mater’s and specialized courses on Criminal matters.
- He has been named Honorary Professor of Civil Law by the Complutense University of Madrid’s Law School.
Awards ans Distinctions:
- Who is Who in Litigation, 2003 and 2004.
- Who is Who in Business Crime Law, since 2005.
- Who is Who Criminal Investigation, 2015.